Impact of technique on pipette calibration uncertainty
Following industry recommended techniques for proper pipetting greatly impacts the uncertainty of pipette calibration.
It has been found on several experiments that user techniques are the biggest uncertainty drivers not as much of the equipment or environmental conditions. By following these important tips below will help make your good old pipette as a reliable and precise instrument.
1. Pre-wetting the pipette tips
2. Checking the tip and wiping if there are excess liquid outside
3. Minimize contact of the pipettes and tips with objects that will affect its temperature especially human body
4. Always using the manufacturer recommended tips
5. Maintaining temperature equilibrium between the pipette, tips, vessel and liquid media
6. Maintain consistent pressure and speed when aspirating and dispensing liquid
7. Immersing the tip to the proper depth